Thursday, September 2, 2010

homework, uniforms, lunches oh my!

i consider myself a laid back kind of parent who likes fun but also likes organization and a lil routine. Roxy was in a private kindergarten so i knew going to public school would be a little different.
A lot of parents love uniforms for one reason or another but I on the other hand am not one of those people. In our school district its only elementary school that has uniforms each school is different. Roxy has the choice of black khaki or navy skirt, dresses, capri's, shorts, pants and navy white and red polo type shirts. I HATE it i can't stand it cause, even with uniforms its a hassle, you have to make sure it's washed, you still have the buy regular clothes for after school and weekends. It gives a child no self expression and I HATE IT! I know some people are going to think I am nuts what kind of parent doesn't like uniforms well I am that parent. I had to wear uniforms from 1st to 9th grade! In high school is probley when you would need uniforms the most if your worried about people making fun of people. I love Roxy's school but this, is one thing I am not happy about. I know just because I don't like it doesn't mean it will change so that means 5 years of uniforms are in store for me.
I let Roxy buy school lunch the other day I gave her 5$ thinking she would come home with some change... I was wrong she used all the money and bought a grilled cheese, yogurt, fruit cup and milk... School lunches have really gone up in price since I was in school.
  I was reading a blog the other day and the mom was saying how happy she wa her 4 year old could read... I think that's great but,  I am happy that my 6 yr old is just starting to read. I wanted her to be a child as long as she could it goes by too fast! I think it's absurd having 1st graders doing 2 hours of homework... They spend 8 hours at school a day and then 2 hours of homework I THINK NOT! I believe in homework but, there should be a limit. An adult who goes to work will work 8 hours and call it a day (in most cases) and not bring there work home they have had a enough well kids are the same! She's not studying to be a brain surgeon shes going to school to learn to learn 1st grader things.
I remember in 1st grade learning adding and subtraction now they make you learn fractions! I guess the point I am trying to make is I want my kids to go to college and do great in high school but I don't want them to want to feel over whelmed. I just think that school's are trying to push a little to hard... I want my daughter to play with barbies and dress up and be a child as long as possible of course I want her to learn but, I think there needs to be a middle ground. Kids want to grow up faster and faster, they have cell phones and tv shows about being teen moms even nickolean that used to have cartoons when i came home from school has shows about being in high school and not living at home. So I know Roxy will continue to learn at school and get smarter and brighter every day but, at home I will try my hardest to always instill you have the rest of your life to be an adult you only have 18 years as a kid!

1 comment:

  1. Good points!!!! Every kid needs to have some fun!! :) Adults too!!!! I have to keep telling myself this!

    ReplyDelete